Saturday, September 7, 2013

Seasonal Denial

why we love fall

Fall is just around the corner, I can feel it.

That's the side of my brain talking that is in denial of the 80+ degrees outside, the ice-cold sweet tea in my mason jar glass and the AC still blasting in our apartment. The side that was fooled by the crisp 70-degree weather we had only a few weeks ago that left as quickly as it arrived. It's the side of my brain that can't really feel fall just yet, but tastes it and smells it.

It's the side of my brain that switched out the lemon verbena scents of summer for the harvest Yankee Candle and Williams-Sonoma spiced chestnut hand soap. The same side of my brain that has been duped by stores displaying sweaters, boots, pumpkin-embroidered pillows and chunky cable knit blankets. The part of me that is giddy with excitement to spend fall back in beautiful color-changing tree country for the first time in three years. It's that side of my brain, along with my soul (and if I'm being honest, my tummy) that are screaming, "Fall is near!"

So as the logical and nostalgic sides of my brains duke it out for the remaining days (weeks...) of summer weather, my autumnal spirit looks forward to these things:

Chunky cable knit
cable poncho talbots

I love everything about this outfit. I've never rocked the cape/poncho look, but this just might be the year. I remember considering it while in school but being flustered by how I would carry a book bag or back pack. Now, the idea of a cable-knit poncho basically sounds like the excuse for an office-friendly blanket. Sign me up.

Comfy cuddles
braiden throw crate & barrel
I'm counting down the days until the temperatures drop low and I can unpack our down blanket from storage and sleep in a comfy cloud again. And for cozy nights on the couch curled up with something soft and beautifully patterned, like this braiden throw.

Rich, home-cooked meals

caramel pecan skillet brownie midwest living

Bring on hearty soups and freshly baked goodies. I plan to get a lot of use out of our cast iron skillet this season, too. And since I always want dessert, I'll cut right to the chase: this decadent caramel pecan skillet brownie is the first thing on my list.

Travels
napa valley winery

With fall comes our first real vacation since our honeymoon last year. We've booked a four-day weekend around my birthday at a bed & breakfast tucked away in Napa. It's our first time in wine country, and my first stay at a B&B, so I'm already dreaming about endless wine, cheese, delicious meals and beautiful scenery as far as the eye can see. Can't wait to see how they do Halloween in wine country either.

See you soon, fall. I know you're almost here.

1 comment:

  1. Um, so if Matt and I show up on yalls little getaway just ignore us. That sounds SO dreamy!! And I'm really wanting to decorate my house for fall this weekend but the temps outside are still at 100. Bleck! I might just have to decorate to keep tricking my mind too ;)

    ReplyDelete