Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Snow, dogs & football ( + food, always food)

This weekend was a great reminder that even though we're in a new city, building a new little life together, familiar comforts are close by, too. Like old friends and game nights and unplanned snow-ball fights and cute dogs and delicious food.


In the middle of game night with Jim and Sam on Saturday, a sudden dump of snow beckoned us to head outside and frolic in the snow. There were snow angels made, hill sledding, snow-man building and snow ball fights. Ah, to be young and carefree. 



Sunday was a fun-packed day, starting with the Purina Beggin Pet Parade in the historic Soulard neighborhood. My heart could barely handle the abundance of beautiful dogs.



A man rigged a bicycle for his two dobermans to ride. What can your dog do?


And then I saw the biggest rabbit/hare/mutant animal I've ever seen. Whoa!

Lastly, Sunday would not have been complete without a Super Bowl shindig. We hosted a few friends over at our house, and I learned that I have terrible skills at estimating the appropriate amount of food for any given group. Let's just say we have a lot of leftovers in our fridge and meal-planning for the week was a breeze!


We made some prop bets to keep the game more interesting:
... will Beyonce's hair be straight, curly or crimped?
... will her top be black, gold or silver?
... what color will the Gatorade be?
and then there were game-related bets which I completely got wrong. So I ultimately lost. Surprise, surprise. 


I tried a few new recipes, but the homemade soft pretzels I made were by far my favorite! I wish I made extra (the one thing that wasn't leftover) so I had some handy in the freezer to boil and bake on a whim. If you like soft pretzels half as much as we do, try this easy and delicious recipe.

A great weekend all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment