Monday, January 7, 2013

Nesting: The Kitchen Table

Nesting is one of the most exciting parts of starting a new life together. It's a work in progress, but I can now say that all the big items have found a place in our new home. This weekend's latest addition was a big accomplishment in a drawn out decision: kitchen table + chairs.

The table itself was a big accomplishment. We bought one last weekend after months of indecision (I was the indecisive one, really; if it wasn't for Jonathan we'd still be eating here, which is a step up from the couch and coffee table we ate at the first few weeks).


I wish I had a "before" photo to show you the empty space that taunted me for two months saying "Fill me with a beautiful table that you can't decide on!" First we wanted something rustic, like a barn table, but then we started thinking we would get tired of the style or it wouldn't really fit in with our current space. When we decided on a basic table from Crate & Barrel it turned out to be discontinued and impossible to find anywhere (just our luck). Then we were on a mission to find a slate-top table, and we almost convinced ourselves to drop a small fortune on this gem we found at a local boutique.


We wandered through countless antique and consignment shops on a mission to give new life and a new home to an old find. I got pretty discouraged along the way, not really being able to pin down the exact "look" I was on the hunt for. Then we found this guy, an old library table, at Roots.


It caught Jonathan's eye right away, but I wasn't so sure (self reflection: I am very indecisive about home decor). So we left the store and carried on our search. A few weeks later, when we still hadn't found anything we liked more, we returned. Jonathan was ready to pull the trigger, but I still couldn't do it (the sweet sisters that own the store were very understanding about my indecision). The holidays came and went and nothing filled the table space in our home.

Until the weekend before New Years. I finally listened to reason (Jonathan) and was ready to make the commitment. With our luck, I prepared myself to the idea that the table would be gone. But it wasn't; we were meant to be its home!


The surface of the table had some scratches and water rings, but after Jonathan gave it some TLC (Old English wood polish), it looked good as new, while still retaining its aged character. I really do love it. The drawers are one of my favorite features because they offer extra storage (something you could always use more of, right?).


Next came the challenge of finding chairs. All along we wanted two arm chairs on the ends, a bench on one side and two regular chairs for the opposite side. We searched far and wide for such an arrangement with not much luck. We ultimately decided against the bench because we thought it would make the overall look too heavy and bulky. Instead we found four white chairs at Pier 1.


Mission accomplished! I love the white because it breaks up all the dark wood we have in our living area and it matches the white molding throughout the space. It's still the mismatched/complementary look we were searching for. Our next step is finding some seat cushions (or fabric to make our own). The end chairs aren't an immediate need so we'll table that decision for now (pun not intended, but I'll take it).

For now we're excited to start building memories around this table: nightly meals, dinner parties, game nights. And one day, when we're ready for a different table, I love that it can return to its original purpose as a library table or writing desk.

Stay tuned for more adventures in nesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment